Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Viles Name Study - Will of Nathan Viles (1739 - 1788)

Nathan Viles, b. 30 Dec 1739 Waltham, Middlesex, Massachusetts, was the son of John Viles and Susanna Bemis.  He married late in life to widow, Mrs. Sarah Hagar, on 14 Oct 1784 at Concord, Middlesex., Massachusetts.  He died in March 1788 at Waltham.

As part of Amanuensis Monday (OK, I'm late, It is Tuesday), here is my transcript of the last Will and Testament of Nathan Viles.(Middlesex County, MA: Probate File Papers, 1648-1871.Online database. AmericanAncestors.org. New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2014. (From records supplied by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Archives.)  Middlesex Case 23360)

Nathan made his Will on 10 Feb 1788.  In it, he provided as follows:

"In the Name of God Amen
"I Nathan Viles of Waltham in the County of Middlesex and Commonwealth of Massachusetts of sound Mind and Memory Thanks to God therefor but weak and infirm in Body do make and ordain and constitute this my last Will and Testament in Manner and Form following first I commend my Soul to God who gave it me, my Body I commit to the Dust to be buried in a christian decent Manner at the Discretion of my Ex’er here after mentioned and as for the wordly Estate where with God has blessed me in this World I will and dispose thereof as follows viz.
"Imprimis. My Will is that my Executor hereafter mentioned pay the several sums hereafter mentiond in Manner following viz to my beloved Brother John Viles one Hundred and ten Pounds in one year after my Decease[.] to my beloved Brother Joel Viles one Hundred Pounds in eighteen months after my Decease. To my beloved Sisters Abigail Barnard Wife of Jonas Barnard, Susanna Call, Dinah Watson Wife of John Watson, Kezia Walton Wife of John Walton, Lydia Wilson Wife of David Wilson and to Lizze Mead Wife of Moses Mead thirty Pounds each in two years and an half after my Decease. To the Children of my beloved sister Sarah Dise deceasd collectively Thirty Pounds in two years and an half after my Decease. To my good and kind Friend Mrs Elizabeth Stone nine Pounds to Esther Perry six Pounds.
"Item. I will and bequeath to Jonathan and Sarah Hager all the cloths of their Mother and my late beloved Wife as likewise all the household furniture she was possessd of at the time of our Marriage as likewise two Promissory [promissory inserted at left] Notes of Hand one subscribed by Benjn Hager the other by Amos Harrington. And that no Charge of be brought against them on any amount whatever but that the Rent of an House belonging to them that I have received be considered sufficient therefor.
"Item. My Will is that my Executor pay and discharge all my just Debts and funeral Charges
[Page 2]

"Item. All the rest and Residue of my Estate wherever situate and lying of whatever Determination I will and bequeath to my beloved Brother Jonas Viles who I constitute sole Executor of this my last Will and Testament he paying as before ordered
"In witness whereof I have hereunto set my Hand and Seal this tenth Day of February in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven Hundred and Eighty-eight.
Nathan
His X Mark
Viles
"Signed, sealed and pronounced by the said Nathan Viles as his last Will and Testament in Presence of us who at his Request and his his Presence and in Presence of one another have subscribed our Names as Witnesses hereto
"The Word each interlind before signing and sealing
John Sanderson
Elijah Smith
Leonard Williams"


No comments:

Post a Comment