Friday, April 22, 2016

Viles Name Study - Initial Research Methods


Research Methods


Questions:

1. Should I Use a Separate Database?

: Advantages:
:: Setting up a data collection system that will make it easier to draw conclusions.
::: I don't think that I can export info from WikiTree to use for statistical purposes.
:: If I decide later to expand the project, I won't have to go back and dig out the data.
:: If someone else is interested in the project or if I have to pass the project on to someone else, it will be easier.
: Disadvantages:
:: Setting up a database will be time-consuming.
:: Psychologically, I might get bored with the whole thing.
:: Inputting data twice, once into a database and once into WikiTree, will be time-consuming.

Conclusion:
A database of Viles should be established.  The reference number could be the WikiTree profile number, which would make it easier to keep track.  Also, it would mean that the same reference number would be used if another database page is set up for a different Census or data source.

2. Where Should I Start?

Should I start with the 1850 or the 1880 US Census or with some other data source?
: Given that I want to start the project by capturing the New England Viles, it would probably be best to start in New England.
: Most Massachusetts towns have published vital records to 1850.
:: As I think the initial Viles families came to Boston and Watertown and expanded from there to Waltham and that vicinity, starting with the earliest information for Boston, Charlestown and Waltham would be on point.  Vital records for those places should be entered into the database and into WikiTree.
:: Vital record data collection could later be expanded to other Massachusetts towns and then Maine.
: There are about 300 entries for the specific name Viles on the 1850 US Census.  This is manageable.
:: A database sheet should probably be set up for the 1850 census, just to track the people as profiles are created on WikiTree.


Conclusion:
I will start with a three-pronged approach:
: Find all Viles in Boston, Watertown and Waltham prior to 1750 and enter the information into WikiTree and a database.
: Enter all Viles mentioned in the 1850 US Census into the database and into WikiTree.
: Tie these Viles together in families, if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment