Friday, April 22, 2016

Viles Name Study - Research Goals Discussion

Research Goals Discussion

What Do I Want to Know?

My questions are:

When did the first Viles come to the United States?
: I think the first Viles showed up in Massachusetts about 1635, so the place to start might be there and the Viles families in Massachusetts were clustered around Waltham, so that might be a more specific location, but I think they started in the Boston or Watertown area.
: Also, there were only 4 Viles families on the 1790 US Census, so that would be another place to start.

Where did the first Viles in the US come from?
: It is possible that I won't be able to find out anything about where the initial Viles came from through US records.
: I may have to try to back-track in England to make a good guess as to the origins of the family.

Where did the Viles in the Southern United States come from, and when?
: It appears that the Viles in Georgia and North Carolina arrived later than those in New England, but branches moved West from both New England and the South.  
: As I find Viles, I will try trace them back as far as I can, regardless of the family's original start in the US.

When did Viles emigrate (from England) to other countries? And, were they from the same original location? 
: Well, those are interesting questions, but my interest, at least for the moment, is in the United States, so I think I will concentrate there.

Do I want to build families or gather information?
: I like building families and tying people together, and I know I will do it anyway, so I might as well make that one of the tasks for the Study.

Research Goals

1. Determine the origins of the Viles in New England.
: In order to accomplish my primary goal, I should concentrate on New England before 1750.  For the moment, until I know more, I am not going to spend much time on the Southern Viles or on Viles in other countries.
2. Put together the families that spread from the original New England settlers.
: My secondary goal will follow as I continue to connect Viles profiles in WikiTree or expand my research.

No comments:

Post a Comment